Conflict in the workplace is almost inevitable. However, when handled productively, it can help in ensuring positive and productive outcomes. Conflict resolution requires a wide range of soft skills because there are multiple dimensions like empathy, communication, teamwork, and problem-solving that need to be mastered by the team members to come up with a common and productive solution. In this template, we will be focusing on providing a few tips for managers to reflect on that could reduce conflicts within the team.
The current work environment demands a participatory culture and often involves having conversations and collaborating with stakeholders of varied experience, expertise, and perspectives. It becomes important for team members to work together, to try and resolve the disagreements by constantly sharing and communicating conflicting opinions or strategies and engaging in conversations that will ensure common resolution or understanding.
1. How am I preparing myself and my team to ensure a collaborative discussion?
2. How often should I arrange events or informal meetings to encourage open and transparent communication in my team?
3. What channels do I ensure to express each other’s beliefs, perspectives, understandings, and attitudes?
4. What kind of training or coaching opportunities do I provide my team to improve their emotional awareness?
5. What different conflict resolution techniques did I expose my team to?
1. Do I train or coach in the assertive style of communication?
2. Do I encourage a culture to ensure self-awareness and awareness about each other?
3. Did I create awareness about different conflict resolution techniques?
4. Do I encourage the use of “Yes” statements?
5. Do I avoid a culture of the blame game?
6. Do I give myself enough opportunity to explain?
7. Do I encourage active listening?
8. Do I encourage maintaining a calm tone?
9. Do I show a willingness to compromise or collaborate?
10. Do I discourage talking behind people’s backs?
11. Do I take anything personally?
12. Do I encourage you to pay close attention to nonverbal communication?
13. Do I encourage and prioritize resolving the conflict over being right?
14. Do I know when to apologize and forgive?
15. Do I focus on the conflict on hand, rather than postpone addressing it?
16. Do I use humor when needed?
17. Do I encourage a culture of teamwork and collaboration?
Create a team rule to enhance the soft skills in your team. Engage with other soft skills templates, and even-out soft skills such as communication to reduce conflicts.
One of the best ways to reduce conflict in a team is to ensure that everyone has the same level of soft skills. By making sure everyone is on the same page when it comes to communication, teamwork, and solving problems, you can help prevent conflicts from happening in the first place.
In addition, by fostering a culture of open communication and collaboration, you can create an environment where team members feel comfortable airing their grievances and working together to find solutions. This can help to prevent conflicts from escalating into larger issues.
Finally, by being proactive and addressing conflicts early on, you can help to resolve them before they become bigger problems. By using conflict resolution techniques like mediation and negotiation, you can help to find mutually agreeable solutions that work for everyone involved.
Check out more thought-provoking questions for reflection at http://www.fincenti.com
Fincenti is a productivity tool for you and your team for better productivity and engagement based on track your day, reflect for growth, and share/learn.
Do you have suggestions? Please email us at [email protected] or submit a comment below.
Join us at Fincenti Facebook User Group at http://bit.ly/finusergroup for more insights and free templates.